Friday, January 20, 2006

I'm Sorry.

Recently, one of my co-workers lost his mother-in-law. He and his wife were taking it fairly easy since her health wasn't at the best of condition. It seems they’ve been expecting it to happen. Then a month and a half later, his father went to a hospital for having a heart attack. He told us that they operated on his father and he's doing much better.

Two weeks after, we've received the bad news. His father passed away at the hospital while he was asleep. There were a thick and heavy air circulating this building. I could not imagine what he had to go through. You've lost one of your parents who created you then raised you through all of these years. I've felt very sorry for his loss.

When he showed up at work later that morning, most of us who knew the news went to pay their respect to him. I waited for a few minutes then went to see him at his desk. He was sitting upright and looking at his computer screen; his hand was on the mouse like he wanted to do something or act busy. I didn't know what to say for a while. He looked up at me from his chair, and I hugged him. He was silent, he didn't say a word. I kept patting him on his back and told him that I was sorry. He nodded his head while looking at his computer screen. I've told him his father is in a better place now and he's looking down at his son from the above. He started to let his tears run down on his face... He grabbed my hand then kept pondering it on his chest. Then started to mumble... "Let's do business, let’s do business" (note: this is one of my favorite saying at work. My co-workers love to use it when they are working on deals). He calmed himself down then told me he appreciates.

Sometimes people need others to help out on situations. I'm not saying that I deserve a recognition for what I did. As I noticed many of employees "just" dropping by then saying their "sorry for the lost," I managed to spend a few minutes with him to share my condolences... Then we're in a mutually respecting place where I understand his lost and he appreciates my intention.

Hey Rob, sorry for your lost. I know, you're doing your best to overcome this sadness... Don't forget, all of us are here to help each other when one of us is down...

Rob, let's do business!

No comments: